“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Aralia is one of the hardest and most resistant indoor plants we can grow. They have traditionally been planted in portals or patios.
Its leaves are webbed, a bright green color, and has the peculiarity that it can grow superbly well indoors, where it will beautify any room where lots of natural light comes in.
Common name: Aralia
Scientific name: Fatsia Japonica
Location: Interior or exterior
Light: from little light to very bright
Ideal temperature: 13-17ºC
Minimum temperature: 0-3ºC
Watering: pc. damp; P.S. let dry superficial layer between irrigations
Fertilization: pc. every three weeks; P.S. Every two months
Description of the aralia
Description of the aralia
The Aralia is a very resistant indoor plant. Because of their rusticity and easy cultivation they have traditionally been planted in portals or patios where they did not receive much care and, nevertheless, they continued to grow. Aralia is a born survivor , and very versatile , since we can cultivate it indoors, in patios and terraces and also in shady areas of the garden .
Cultivated outdoors , the plant can reach up to four meters in height . It creates erect and thick stems from which come its large bright and webbed leaves, composed of seven or nine lobes. Adult plants grown outdoors give rise to whitish inflorescences that fill with small cream-colored flowers, from which clusters of black berries emerge .
Care of aralia
Tolerates low light exposures , but will always grow more dense and dense in the presence of direct light . The sun can damage its green leaves, so it can be grown outdoors whenever we do it in the shade .
The care that Aralia needs, known by the scientific name Fatsia japonica, are the following:
- Location : being very sensitive to frost, if you live in a climate where the temperature drops below 0º it is important that you have it inside the home, in a bright room and away from the air currents.
If, on the other hand, the climate is mild, you can have it outside, in shadow.
- Transplant : every two years, in spring.
- Substrate : it is highly recommended to use universal culture substrate mixed with 30% perlite to improve drainage.
- Irrigation : twice a week in summer, and every 5-6 days the rest of the year. Do not leave the water in the dish for more than 30 minutes, as it could rot.
- Subscriber : during the hot months it is advisable to pay with mineral or organic fertilizers. You can even use a month one, and a month a different one so that you do not lack any nutrient.
- Pruning : it is not necessary. Remove only withered leaves.
- Pests and diseases : can be affected by cottonwood pillbugs, which are deposited on the stems and leaves during the summer. You can remove them by hand or using an ear swab moistened in water with pharmacy alcohol.
Irrigation of aralia
Irrigation needs to be moderate , without overdoing it, and when we see that new leaves begin to appear we will increase the irrigation by adding growth fertilizer to the irrigation water.
With these tips, surely your Aralia, a plant that can reach up to three meters in height in habitat, but that in culture rarely exceeds 2m, can grow and develop without problems.
Normally it is carried out by seed, except in variegated varieties, which is done by cutting.
The seeds are placed in multilocular trays of 7-8 cm. Germination occurs at 20-25 days at 20 ºC.
PESTS AND DISEASES.
The pests that affect it are mites, cochineals and thrips, which will be treated with the usual products.
As for diseases, aralias are affected by foliar diseases caused by Alternaria and Pseudomonas and by root rot caused by Phytophthora and Pythium .
The fall of the leaves is produced by an excess of cold or heat with insufficient humidity.
The hardiness of the aralia makes it unnecessary to change it often to survive . But after a few years, you will see that the lower parts of the plant have been able to lose the leaves, leaving the plant a little disheveled. To promote the emergence of new stems of the base, cut the trunks and cut them separately. The aralia roots very easy of the esqueje , by what we will have managed to multiply the mother plant and of the point of the cut will appear new shoots that will guarantee the density wished.