“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Here’s what everyone ought to know about ghost pepper. If you are one of those who love spiciness, the plant that I am going to talk about on this occasion will put all your senses to the test.
It is the phantom chilli , known as Bhut Jolokia or Naga Jolokia. It is one of the hottest peppers in the world according to the Scoville Scale.
But what is it that produces the itch? And, how is it cultivated?
Ghost Pepper: why is it so spicy?
The itch is produced by a substance called Capsaicin , which is found in any hot pepper.
These plants need it to defend themselves from herbivores and anyone who wants to eat it, except for us who tried everything but we should not since the phantom chilli would cause inflammation of the skin and mucous membranes, and we would have difficulty breathing , in addition to heat, a lot of heat.
When a food instinctively stings us we drink water, and if that does not work we drink a glass of orangeade or cola, but when the cause of itching is a hot pepper like Naga Jolokia, we should not drink water, since Capsaicin is hydrophobic , which means that it does not mix with the vital liquid.
What we can do is take a couple of tablespoons of oil, milk, or yogurt.
Scoville scales for individual Ghost Pepper
The itch is produced by a substance called Capsaicin , which is found in any hot pepper. These plants need it to defend themselves from herbivores and anyone who wants to eat it, except for us who tried everything but we should not since the phantom chilli would cause inflammation of the skin and mucous membranes, and we would have difficulty breathing , in addition to heat, a lot of heat.
When a food instinctively stings us we drink water, and if that does not work we drink a glass of orangeade or cola, but when the cause of itching is a hot pepper like Naga Jolokia, we should not drink water, since Capsaicin is hydrophobic , which means that it does not mix with the vital liquid. What we can do is take a couple of tablespoons of oil, milk, or yogurt.
Here is a video of a blogger who wanted to try Ghost Pepper:
And if after reading this you would like to know where it comes from and how to grow it, read on:
Characteristics of the phantom chili Ghost Pepper
&The phantom chilli is one of the five cultivars of the Capsicum chinense species .
It is a branched herbaceous plant, which grows up to 2.5 meters high. Its leaves are petiolate, with petioles up to 2cm long, ovate, up to 10cm long and 4cm wide.
The flowers appear in groups of two or more specimens, and have 5 white petals. The fruit is an oblong to globose, yellow to red berry (in the case of our protagonist, it is red).
Its rate of growth is rapid, so it produces an interesting amount of fruits already from the first year.
The only drawback is that it is sensitive to cold , so that in climates where temperatures fall below 5 ° C it is usually grown as an annual horticultural plant.
How is Ghost Pepper Grown?;
If you would like to have a ghost chilli plant follow our tips:
Capsicum seeds must be purchased and sown in spring , after the risk of frost has passed and temperatures, both maximum and minimum, begin to rise. To do this, follow this step by step:
- The first thing I recommend you do is put them in a glass with a little water ; just a little bit, without covering them at all. Keep them like that for 24 hours.
- The next day, prepare the seedbed . As such you can use seedling trays, peat pellets (Jiffy), milk or yogurt containers … in short, whatever you can think of. Of course, it must have holes for water drainage.
- Then, fill the seedbed with universal growing medium, one specific for seedbeds or, if you prefer, with vermiculite.
- Then, place a maximum of two seeds in each alveolus, peat pill or pot.
- Now, cover them with a very thin layer of substrate , mostly to prevent the wind from taking them.
- Water , soaking all the substrate well.
- And finally, place the seedbed in an area where the sun is direct, during, if possible, all day.
They will germinate in a couple of weeks.
Repicado and transplant of Ghost Pepper
Once the seedlings have reached a manageable size, that is, they have a height of about 5cm or more, it will be time to move them to a larger pot.
To do this, you have to do the following:
- To begin, you should carefully remove the seedlings from the alveolus or pot .
- Then, remove the substrate around the roots , trying not to break any. To make it easier for you, I recommend inserting the root ball in a bowl or basin with water, as this removes the substrate better.
If this is still impossible or you do not want to risk, stay with the seedling that grows stronger and cuts the other.
- Then, plant each seedling in an individual pot about 20cm in diameter, using universal culture substrate.
- Next, water .
Place the seedling in semi-shade until you see growth, which will be when you can put it in the sun again.
Once you reach a height of 15-20cm, you can move it to a larger pot by following steps 1, 3 (use a 25cm diameter or more), 4 and 5, or the garden.
How to plant chilli Ghost pepper in the garden?
If you want to have chili peppers in your garden, you should plant your seedlings in rows , leaving a distance between them of 30-35cm.
Thus, they can grow without problems.
Likewise, and for their development to be optimal, they have to have tutors , since it is common for the weight of the fruits, or the plant itself, to not grow straight.
Care of Ghost Pepper
When you have ghost chili peppers planted in individual pots or in the garden, you will need a series of cares, which are:
- Location : full sun.
- Irrigation : frequent, 3 to 4 times per week.
- Subscriber : pay with organic fertilizers; liquids if they are in a pot or in dust if they are on land. In the first case, it is necessary to read the indications specified in the package, while in the second one a layer of 2-3cm can be thrown around every 15-20 days.
- Pruning : if you want to increase production, you have to leave 3 main branches, but if you want to fructify before it is better to leave 2. In addition, you also have to cut the leaves that touch the ground, the stems that grow towards the inside of the plant, and the sprouting of the main trunk.
And that’s all. If you want to have chili ghost pepper at home, be very careful with their fruits, because although there are no studies that indicate that it is dangerous to health, it is better not to risk, especially if you have a sensitive palate.