On this occasion we want to review some of the symptoms of tartar and 3 remedies to remove tartar at home that can be used as a complement to combat it.
One of the most common oral health problems is the buildup of tartar.
It is a condition that has consequences on the teeth and gums, since it increases the risk of infections.
Their presence makes the teeth look dirty, even if they are washed regularly.
In fact, as it progresses, the appearance of bad breath and cavities increases.
Timely intervention by a professional can prevent more serious complications from occurring in the long term.
However, there are also solutions of natural origin that can minimize their impact.
Although we must go to the dentist to obtain a diagnosis and a professional cleaning, we can fight tartar at home with some natural ingredients that will help us eliminate it.
What is dental calculus?
Also known as tartar or dental calculus, tartar is a yellowish substance formed by bacteria, food residues and mineral salts that, little by little, are deposited on the tooth surface.
It is a hard layer of rough texture that, by deteriorating tooth enamel, facilitates the formation of spots when certain foods are consumed.
Its appearance affects the aesthetics of the teeth and, in turn, creates an environment conducive to the growth of germs that produce infections in the teeth and gums.
In fact, often, it is related to the development of:
- Dental cavities
- Periodontal disease
- Loss of teeth
Symptoms of dental calculus
All people develop a plaque on the surface of the teeth, since the bacteria grow continuously in the mouth, especially if food remains.
This layer is altering the tooth surface and, not being eliminated, produces harder deposits that we know as tartar.
- Its main symptom is a rough yellow or brown spot that is usually located between the lower front of the teeth and the gum line.
- This is often accompanied by problems of bad breath and inflammation.
Remedies to remove tartar at home
To treat tartar effectively, it is essential to go to the dentist and improve oral hygiene habits.
Also, you can also use some home remedies that facilitate their elimination without causing aggression on the teeth.
1. Baking soda and coconut oil – remove tartar at home
Because of its concentration of antimicrobial substances, the mixture of sodium bicarbonate and coconut oil has become popular as an alternative solution against tartar.
Although it is convenient to apply it in a moderate way, its use eliminates bacteria, removes the remains of food and leaves a more white and healthy appearance .
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda (2 g)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil (15 g)
- 3 drops of mint essential oil
- Mix all the ingredients in a container until you obtain a homogeneous paste.
- Put a portion of the product on your toothbrush and use it as if it were toothpaste.
- Apply once a day, for a week.
2. Brewer’s yeast – remove tartar at home
The compounds of brewer’s yeast help to alter the environment that the bacteria need to proliferate on the teeth. Mixing it with a little salt helps soften the residues that form the tartar.
- 1 tablespoon of brewer’s yeast (15 g)
- ½ teaspoon of salt (2 g)
- Water (the necessary)
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl until you get a creamy paste.
- Rub the remedy on the teeth with the help of your toothbrush.
- Use it up to 2 times a day, for a week.
3. Activated carbon – remove tartar at home
Despite its characteristic black color, natural activated carbon is one of the best solutions to remove the yellowish appearance that tartar produces on teeth.
Its compounds eliminate residues that stick to the tooth enamel and prevent the appearance of bacterial infections.
- 1 capsule of activated carbon
- 2 tablespoons of water (30 ml)
- Moisten the activated carbon with a little water to give it the texture of a paste.
- Rub the product on the teeth using your brush.
- Let it act for 3 to 5 minutes and rinse.
- Use it 2 or 3 times a week.
Note : Make sure you buy organic activated carbon and not petroleum based.
If you feel your teeth rough and dirty despite brushing, keep in mind these home treatments to promote the removal of unsightly tartar.